Independence and mobility are valued by citizens of all ages, but seniors living on their own may often find themselves in dangerous situations as their bodies age. Fortunately, there are several medical monitoring options available that can help them live safely and independently in their Houston homes without sacrificing their peace of mind while increasing their home security.
What is Medical Monitoring?
This high-tech term is used to define a simple piece of remote technology that your senior loved one can wear while at home to signal emergency services in case of a fall or health emergency when they are unable to reach a phone. Medial monitoring systems are available with most home security packages, or can be purchased separately. Depending on your loved one’s needs, you can find monitors that include medical reminders, such as medicine alerts or medical appointment reminders to other added features that promote freedom and well-being.
Monitoring that Works Both Ways
Newer systems allow family members to check on their senior loved ones without disturbing them through video connect services. You can be assured that your family member is doing alright while allowing them the peace they desire without having to upset them or interrupt their daily routine. With such a medical monitoring system in place all members of the family can relax knowing that your senior relative is safe and taken care of. Combine a medical monitoring system with some of these other home safety tips to create the perfect home for your senior loved one.
Old Fashioned Monitoring
One reason a senior may not wish to leave their home is because of a tight-knit community and a neighborhood that has stuck together throughout the years. If this is the case, then one of many home safety tips you could try is starting a neighborhood watch in your loved one’s Houston community. While many people may already recognize your senior as a staple of the neighborhood, establishing a neighborhood watch means that someone has an extra eye on them and will be able to check on them if you cannot reach them quickly.
Benefits of Medical Monitoring Systems
There are several benefits of choosing a medical monitoring system in the home, including but not limited to:
- Independence- Seniors feel they can live on their terms without cumbersome equipment or anyone in their way.
- Rapid Emergency Response- Medical responders can arrive quickly and deliver swift treatment once a monitoring device is activated.
- Peace of Mind- For seniors and loved ones there is peace of mind that the senior can receive prompt treatment in an emergency.
- Reminders- For systems that send reminders, seniors can keep up with medical appointments, medications, and any other necessary remembrances.
- Remote Access Viewing- Loved ones can check on seniors without disturbing them via remove access to make sure they’re doing alright while allowing seniors to maintain their daily routines.
- A sense of Happiness and Well-Being- Seniors maintain a sense of happiness being able to stay at home in a safe place they recognize.